Friday, September 09, 2016

Hornworm

I found one of the jalapeno plants nearly defoliated the other night: here is the munching culprit. I'm amazed that such critters find their way to our second-floor balcony. I watched this eating machine take out half a leaf in the space of a few minutes, chomping at a constant pace, row after row of bites--it made me think of a typewriter, of all things, erasing a page. I couldn't bring myself to dislodge the glutton with my finger--that single daunting thorny bit on the tail end--and so clipped the branch entire, and dropped it, muncher still munching, or perhaps pausing to consider the sensation of its sudden rushing descent to the lawn below. I wonder if it managed to find cover and food in the scraggly treeline 20 feet behind our building.

No comments: