Saturday, August 20, 2005

Foundlings

I need to get to bed . . . have to be up early to meet my Foundlings (students enrolled in my foundation seminar). There are still a few days before classes begin (W) and I haven't completely nailed down my syllabi (still waffling over the final project to assign my intro class), though both are pretty close.

When Jeff Hardin visited campus last fall, I was inspired by several of our conversations about teaching. One idea I resolved to "steal": he reads a poem at the beginning of every class. How great is that?! For weeks I've been sticking post-its in my books, marking poems I want to read to my students. No discussion, no analysis, just give me two minutes of your attention. Just listen to this.

Sent my blurb off to Amanda Auchter today (for her forthcoming chapbook, Light Under Skin) (buy it!). This is only the third time I've been asked to blurb a collection; the first time I was sooo busy and (bad Ron) didn't get back to the guy (sorry). I haven't seen the ms. for #2 yet. Amanda's poems are good. I'm glad she asked me.

Also mailed my signed contract today to Phil Memmer at Two Rivers Review. My chap is going to be published in one volume with two other manuscripts, by Michael McPhee and Lynne Knight. This is a great idea. More on that soon.

Last note before signing out: yesterday I ran across an announcement for Juliet Patterson's first book, The Truant Lover. This is such a good manuscript, and I'm thrilled to hear that it's going to be published. Check it out at Nightboat Books. And congrats, Juliet--you deserve it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda Auchter is doing some exciting stuff. Glad to hear she's got a chap coming out.

Nels P. Highberg said...

Another option that I did when I was teaching intro to creative nonfiction is to have studens bring in something to read at the start of class. I called it the Invocation, and I loved seeing what they brought.

Ron said...

Nels, that's a good idea, and I'm hoping that my students will be inspired to bring work in to read. How was your experience teaching CNF? I taught one section 2 years ago, and really enjoyed it, though (my constant complaint) I found it VERY difficult to settle on a textbook.

Amanda Auchter said...

O you are too kind. I am blushing right now. Really. I am. I'm going to link you to my blog. Have you seen the poems from my magazine, Pebble Lake Review, on Verse Daily recently? So good. You must read them ASAP. Tell everyone I miss them (& PA).

Paul said...

Hey Ron! Glad to find you out here in blogworld.

Ron said...

Hiya Paul! And congrats on yr new book; I can't wait to read it.