Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Peripathetic

Well I'd just got settled into my office again when the dean's office asked if I would relinquish it to another visiting assistant professor. Sure, no problem, I said, though there was the possibility that I'd have to move *three times* over the next academic year. Fortunately, they offered me a second option, an office in the Geology/Psychology building (yes, for those of us with rocks in our heads) that turns out to be vacant right now. So I think I can move early (next week) and stay in one place through next summer. Sweet.

Every summer I promise myself I'll learn some new technique or tool to improve my teaching efficiency. Because I'm teaching summer session this year, my fall prep time is really chopped in half. So I'm punting: set up an appointment to learn PowerPoint on Monday. I know, I know: I'm the last person in the world to learn this program. But at the faculty workshop I attended Monday and Tuesday, I was impressed by a PPt presentation that someone made and I can see useful (and non-boring) applications in my poetry classes. And the lad at the tech desk today promised they could teach me pretty quickly.

Listening to Patricia Barber's Nightclub: love her.

2 comments:

j said...

PowerPoint is very easy to learn, and you'll find it helpful, I think. Did you get my email? I'm waiting to hear about the crabapple... j

Ron said...

Sis:
I will prune your crabapple--or show you how--in exchange for two Busken's butter cookies and a cup of coffee. See you around June 3-ish.