Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow

It's been snowing steadily all day since early this morning, when there was talk on the local station about 12-18 inches' accumulation. I haven't checked the weather report since. It's nice. I like it. I'm happy I can walk to work.

* * * * *
For all you eBayers out there, I'll be listing a few books--mainly poetry--over the next couple of months, partly to ease the clutter, but mainly to raise a little cash toward a new project: Seven Kitchens Press will launch this summer with the Keystone Chapbook Series (for Pennsylvania poets). If all goes well, we'll read this fall for a new G/L/B/T chapbook series. Wish me luck. Buy some stuff on eBay to help support the cause: the seller ID is 7kp and the prices are cheap!

* * * * *

4 comments:

RJGibson said...

Ron--Totally off topic here, but I was wondering how your aphid situation was going?

Ron said...

RJ, the aphids are still hanging in there. They overwhelmingly prefer the Kenilworth ivy, and don't seem interested in anything else--sorta the way nasturtiums always seem to be the favorite "attack food" out in the garden--and I think I've grown resigned to their presence. I keep forgetting to stop by the campus greenhouse, which utilizes natural pest management, to ask how they keep aphids (and whiteflies) under control.

The greenhouse, by the way, is one of the best "calm spots" on campus: I'm almost always alone when I visit, and I sometimes take my digital camera, but mainly I just breathe, and appreciate the patterns and textures: some great rex begonias, staghorn ferns, and orchids, and the camellias are often in bloom.

RJGibson said...

Ron--Those little buggers are certainly tenacious! Hopefully the folks there can help. I thought of it the other day because there seems to be a resurgence of ladybugs here.

Staghorns are just amazing plants. I've always wanted to get my hands on one, but can never seem to find them here.

Oh gosh said...

I bet you've already tried this, but a spray bottle of soapy water is a good aphid killer/repellant. Use natural soap (Dr. Bronners? Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!)

Wow, a chapbook series! How cool. Please make them beautiful and well-bound!