Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Last gasp

Student conferences all week: folks are coming out of the woodwork to request last-gasp meetings to review a clutch of poems before turning them in on Monday in their final portfolios. Next semester I am going to require two conferences--one before midterm, one after--so that I see everyone face-to-face, but I'm also going to limit each conference to 25 minutes. (No, we can't look at everything today. Yes, we can schedule another short meeting.)

Maybe I need to re-think the whole notion of a final portfolio, and instead grade revisions as we move through the semester. But I love the portfolio, the chance for students to polish and present the best of what they've written, and the self-assessment (which I used to have them write three times--week one, midterm, and again at the end). I always have visions of the students collaborating on a chapbook-type anthology, but I've never taken the leap to implement this project. Maybe this next semester is my chance to really push the envelope and take even more risks with my teaching.

* * * * *

I deleted some recent posts. I hated taking them down, but academia is not, alas, the land of the free (speech).

1 comment:

Rachel said...

too bad, i wanted to respond to your last post before you took it down... but alas... in thinking of positive ways to make something out of lemons, a few words came to mind: lev raphael... jane smiley... david lodge...