Thursday, December 28, 2006

Whole cloth (1)


Here's a photo I took in September of the whole-cloth quilt Randy had just started. This is the center medallion: you can see the pencil-marked design (the lower right side shows the grid has not yet been quilted). More photos to follow.

* * * * *
Last night I dreamed I had a conversation with Anne Sexton. She wore a black turtleneck and looked fabulous, and her voice was somehow a cross between Judy Garland (slightly quavering, hopeful) and Lauren Bacall (husky survivor). I don't remember what she had to say.

* * * * *
The other night I finished reading Send Me, a novel by
Patrick Ryan: a thoroughly engaging book from start to finish. I highly recommend it. You can read a (tepid) review by David Thomson for the New York Review here (Thomson carps about how young-looking Ryan's jacket photo makes him appear, and compares him unfavorably--and endlessly--to Faulkner).

Not so happy with A Scarecrow's Bible (by
Martin Hyatt): for starters, it's riddled with typos, one on nearly every page. I actually got out my red pen and started marking corrections, thinking I would just send the whole book back to Suspect Thoughts Press and recommend they hire a better proofreader. (It's a shame, really, because I love what they're doing for queer publishing--I just wish the books were better edited.) But I couldn't get interested in the story, and in the end it felt like proofing someone's endless creative thesis. I gave up. Free copy here to anyone who'll pay the postage.

1 comment:

Brent Goodman said...

Hi Ron!

After reading your last two posts I headed over through light snow to the post office to drop off another armload of mss and went to buy stamps - and discovered a new series USPS just released: Quilts of Gee's Bend

You and Randy may want to check out the beautiful designs:

http://shop.usps.com/wcsstore/PostalStore/
upload/images/600x600_674540.jpg

Happy New Year Friend! Bear Hugs.