Thursday, January 11, 2007

Scoop


Congratulations to Jill Allyn Rosser, whose manuscript has just won the New Criterion Poetry Prize! Jill's first book, Bright Moves, won the Morse Poetry Prize; her second book, Misery Prefigured, won the Crab Orchard Award. She's a marvelously accomplished poet--her poem "The Brain of the World" is smart, complex, and memorable, as are many of the images in her work. Not a semester goes by that I don’t read “Lover Release Agreement” and “Patience Is a Virtue” to my students: both are excellent villanelles, contemporary in their setting and tone but with language that makes a conscious nod toward the tradition of the form.

* * * * *
My copy of Pebble Lake Review arrived yesterday. Nice to see my work in good company. Thanks again, Amanda and crew.

* * * * *
We bought an elliptical machine. I've lost four pounds (as of yesterday morning). My goal is to shed enough to create a Mini Me so I can attend twice as many events in New York at next year's AWP. (I'll be the one that does not resemble a pile of chicken fat.)

* * * * *
If you have tried to reach me via my campus e-mail, try again with my Gmail. Bucknell's junk filter is still randomly sucking "good" e-mails into detention space, where I may or may not find them.

* * * * *
It's dark. It's cold. It's time to go home. Randy's making soup for dinner. I can hardly wait.

[photo: night campus, 12/27/06]

1 comment:

Charles said...

The elliptical machine is a miracle. I started doing cardio half out of boredom with lifting weights and half to just tone my body up.

After four months, I noticed my waist shrunk two inches but that I hadn't lost any weight (which is fine, my weight is fine).

I love the elliptical machine! Enjoy it and I hope it brings you a miracle of your own, whatever you want that to be.