Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Silly busses


Tweaking mine again before classes begin tomorrow, at which point they (the syllabi) become set in virtual stone.

I need to walk a new path home this evening, just to check out the classroom accommodations (I hear it's a nice room but I've never taught in this particular building before).

Goodbye, leisure! Goodbye, novels! We'll meet again come summer . . .

* * * * *
On my bookcase today, I found a cup containing curdled milky tea. It was disgusting.

* * * * *
"Whenever I visit the seacoast, I derive pleasure just knowing that several feet beneath my waterproof boots lies an animal quite possibly 90 years my senior, silently finishing a supper of diatoms and algae inhaled through its meter long neck."

--David George Gordon, Field Guide to the Geoduck

Okay. I had never heard of geoducks before. The word is pronounced like "gooey ducks." My friend Deirdre mentioned them today. They're clams. They have huge long necks. They burrow about three feet down and then settle there for, like, a hundred years. And they look like penises. Giant, slimy penises.

Gooey ducks, indeed.

[photo: campus at night - just outside my building]

No comments: