Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hump Day

I threw nineteen students out of my working class lit course last hour: anyone who had not read the essay I'd assigned for today. The six remaining students and I had an engaging discussion, partly devoted to the reading material and partly assessing what was going wrong with the class and what we could all do to inject new life into it. . . Just two minutes ago, one of the nineteen came by with a two-page response to the reading and an apology for not being prepared. I nearly wept.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rock on, Ron. One of the best students I ever had when I was teaching was somebody I threw out early on. He took three more classes from me and I wrote a rec for him for grad school. He's now nearly done his Ph.D.

Karen J. Weyant said...

Wow. I just had a colleague who threw six students out of her class. Spring Fever? I'm not sure. I haven't had any problems with throwing students out of my class. Maybe that is because they are not coming in the first place.