Thursday, June 22, 2006

Bragging rights ...


... of a sort: Randy did all the detailed work on this--the hand quilting--and a wonderful job. I made the binding and sewed it on. Oh, and I designed the quilt, chose the fabrics, and pieced the top on the machine. But Randy did the hard work. The photo really shows his quilting: a modified "open grid" pattern in the central area, quilted on the diagonal (his own design) and a nice authentic "Baptist fan" pattern in the outer borders.

The quilt is copied from a 19th-century Mennonite "bar" or "strip" quilt made in the Lancaster PA area; the fabrics are reproductions of authentic 19th-century colors & patterns. Note especially the "poison green" fabric (I should get a close-up), a color and pattern found often in original PA quilts of that era. The yellow is a repro of "chrome yellow" and the pink is a repro of "double pink" (or "cinnamon pink").

We sold the last two we made; this one goes (is) on our wall.

[photo: "Bar" quilt made by R Mohring & R Barlow, June 2006]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is great. I really think the quilting on it is amazing. Anyways I was just searching and I came across your blog and I wanted to let you in on one of my secret places to run away to and quilt fabric shop. I am from Lewisburg also and it is about 40 minutes but well worth the drive. It has just changed names and I think it is called a sewing shanty or something along those lines, it is in richfield and the prices are very good...anyways love your quilt and the design.

Hope my secret helps,
Tommy

Ron said...

Tommy, thanks for the tip. We go to Verna's in Mifflinburg for the great prices and sometimes to what's-it-called, A Gathering Place? in Montoursville for the great selection of repro 19th century fabrics. Will search out this new place. What kind of quilting do you like to do?

Anonymous said...

It's lovely!

kay

Anonymous said...

stunning...I envy the ability to focus on one project to completion.please post the detail photo... the green appears more charcoal to me...