Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A few new poems

Well my friend Katie asked last week if we could meet and exchange new poems--we agreed on Tuesday (yesterday) at Mya's, a coffee shop on Market Street where I'd sit and write every day if a had a coffee budget--and this prompted me to open my file of drafts and notes and what-all to see if there was anything ready to step up and become a poem. There was. I tinkered and fussed over four drafts (two were really, really short, around ten lines each) and showed them to Deirdre and Peg on Monday at work (to build up my confidence that there was at least something happening on the page).

So a nice meeting with Katie last night. She had four poems as well, two of which really knocked me out; we spent the bulk of our time on those and on one of mine, the newest one, "No Wonder," which now feels most complete and even--dare I?--ready to go into the manuscript.

Up this morning much too early--I woke from a dream that I'd accepted a job in Columbus (umm, sure, I'll consider that here in the waking world, why not?) and then had to check the weather radar online to see if I'll be walking to campus this morning (rain or ice?). Turns out it's rain for now, and won't be changing to snow till late this morning.

The rain sounds nice . . . It's lulling me back to bed for an hour . . .

No comments: