Friday, July 07, 2006

Decisions, decisions

So yesterday, on my way to class, I was waylaid on the stairs. I was buttonholed (nicely). Gently detained. Made an offer which, though it may cost me my sanity, I do not think I can refuse:

"Ron, would you consider teaching a course overload?"

"For spring?" I warbled.

"For fall."

But I already have an overload for fall, I thought. (But it's only 15 more students, I reasoned.) But it's an extra course prep, and my summer will be nearly over when I finish teaching composition, I thought.) But I could use the same texts in the extra intro section, so in some ways it's still only three preps, I argued.) But I'm editing West Branch this fall and we have one less editor on staff already, I thought, and I have no idea if that work is equivalent to one course or--more-likely--two. (Come on, people do this all the time, look at the 4/4 loads that some of your friends are handling, I bullied.) But I won't get any writing done, I mewled. (But it's more money, I goaded.)

"We would truly appreciate your stepping up for the department in this situation." (Oh. He's still standing here. Shit.)

I blinked. How much more money? Should I ask him? Would that give the wrong impression? Wait, I'm a visiting assistant professor this year, it has to be more money than if I were adjuncting. But what if I crash and end up with horrible evaluations? Will "stepping up" offset the downtick on my student evals? Wait, wait, I can *do* this. I just won't be able to do anything else, or go anywhere, or write anything. What would Randy say?

"Thank you for asking me. I need a little time to ponder this and to talk with Randy about it."

"Of course."

And off to class I wobbled.

No comments: